[R] Vectors of years, months, and days to dates?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Jun 7 18:56:57 CEST 2004

"Shin, Daehyok" <sdhyok at email.unc.edu> writes:

> Thanks, but, what I want is to convert three vectors of years, months, and
> days directly into POSIXlt or Date objects
> without creating character vectors.

Well, if you insist:

 x <- as.POSIXlt(structure(rep(0,2),class="POSIXct"))
 x$year <- years-1900
 x$mon <- months-1
 x$mday <- days
 as.Date(as.POSIXct(x))

This is definitely not kosher programming, and I doubt that it is the
least bit faster than the other solutions, but there's no character
vectors in there...