[R] X/Emacs and R in Linux

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Jun 1 16:51:25 CEST 2004

Dan Bolser <dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Yikes! whatever happened to a good old 'INSTALL' file?

There is a nice README file which you should read...

> People should not assume that just because you use linux you automatically
> know what you are doing!

Apparently :-).

> First it took me ages to find the install instructions, they were hidden
> on page nine of a pdf file called ess.pdf. Then it took me ages to
> understand them. Their are a lot of comments in the file 'ess-site.el' and
> I don't think I understood any of them.
>
> In the end I ignored this file and I just added the "(load
> 'path-to-ess-site.el-file')" to my .emacs file.
>
> compile bit code? not me!

Exactly.  No reason to.  And you know that if you read the
documentation.

> Then it took me a long time to get going with emacs and ess, I had to
> guess the R-mode command, as it is somehow assumed that you dont need it.
>
> Now I am getting there, but easy it wasnt.
>
> Sorry for all the complaints,

And you sent them to the wrong list, as well.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}