[R] LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Jun 1 01:17:13 CEST 2004

Apologies for the off-topic post, and apologies for those already seen this
elsewhere...

From: Jack Dongarra <dongarra at cs.utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:17:17 -0400
Subject: LAPACK and ScaLAPACK New Functionality Survey

LAPACK and ScaLAPACK new functionality survey

We plan to update the LAPACK and ScaLAPACK libraries and would like to have
feedback from users on what functionalities they think are missing and would
be needed in order to make these libraries more useful for the community. We
invite you to enter your suggestions in the form below. It would be most
useful
to have input by June 16th, although we would welcome your input at any
time.

Both LAPACK and ScaLAPACK provide well-tested, open source, reviewed code
implementing trusted algorithms that guarantee reliability, efficiency and
accuracy. Any new functionality must adhere to these standards and should
have a significant impact in order to justify the development costs. We are
also interested in suggestions regarding user interfaces, documentation,
language interfaces, target (parallel) architectures and other issues, again
provided the impact is large enough.

We already plan to include a variety of improved algorithms discovered over
the years by a number of researchers (e.g. faster or more accurate
eigenvalue and SVD algorithms, extra precise iterative refinement, recursive
blocking for some linear solvers, etc.). We also know of a variety of other
possible functions we could add (e.g. updating and downdating
factorizations), but are uncertain of their impact.

Please see http://icl.cs.utk.edu/lapack-survey.html for the survey.
We would like to have your input by June 16th, 2004.

Regards,
Jack, Jim, and Sven