[R] using Rterm under cygwin, no possiblity to delete characters

Dewez Thomas t.dewez at brgm.fr
Thu Jul 29 14:28:55 CEST 2004

Dear Brian,

> You have to call Rterm.exe *from a command shell*.  `cygwin' is not a
> command shell, but a collection of tools that provides
> several such.  So
> we can only guess at what you are using.
>
> Rterms runs satisfactorily in many shells (I use tcsh, others
> use Cygwin
> bash ...).  This is all described in the README and rw-FAQ files,
> for example.

Your confusion is all due to my inaccurate explanation. In fact, Rterm runs
fine when running inside cygwin's bash window. I was running R from a bash
shell inside GRASS 5.7. I didn't think GRASS was altering the bash response.
Perhaps this is something Roger has come across before when developping the
interface.

> > When I call Rterm from cygwin, I have no options but typing
> the exact syntax
> > the first time. If I happen to hit the "delete" key
> (backspace), R dies when
> > I press enter saying :
>
> backspace and delete are separate keys, so which did you mean?

The error comes from hitting anything but a normal key ie arrow keys or
backspace.

> > Error: ... (error concerning the function on the last line of text)
> > Execution halted
> >
> > Perhaps some of you have experienced this and found work
> arounds? One has to
> > be pretty good to type without ever committing mistakes!
> >
> > By the way, I am running Cygwin (cygwin_NT-5.0 release
> 1.5.10(0.116/4/2), I
> > reinstalled everything fresh last week) on Win 2k and R
> 1.9.1. Although some
> > of you find cygwin inefficient in many ways, I don't have
> the option to
> > migrate to Linux.
>
> The alternative is to use a Windows-native shell, such as tcsh.exe.

Thanks for your ideas

Thomas
***
Le contenu de cet e-mail et de ses pièces jointes est destiné à l'usage exclusif du
(des) destinataire(s) expressément désigné(s) comme tel(s). En cas de réception de cet
 e-mail par erreur, le signaler à son expéditeur et ne pas en divulguer le contenu.
vérifier l'absence de corruption à sa réception.

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for
the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error please notify the
system manager or  the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to
anyone or make copies. eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious
content.
***