[R] where is "average shifted histogram"?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jul 29 08:02:54 CEST 2004

Eckart Bindewald <eckart_bindewald at yahoo.de> writes:

> Hello!
> In the book Modern Applied Statistics with S (4th ed),
> section 5.6 the concept of the "average shifted
> histogram" or ASH is mentionend. Also it is mentioned
> in the same section "The code used is in the scripts
> for this chapter" (from figure caption 5.8, analysis
> of the geyser duration data).
> *However*, I have trouble finding the code for that
> function! Admittedly, I am a newby to R. Where exactly
> do I find the scripts to that chapter? Commands like
> library(MASS), or help.search("average shifted
> histogram") did not help.

The scripts are in simple files installed with the package. So you
need to go to the install directory and read them from there. A
canonical way of finding it from within R is

.path.package("MASS")
dir(file.path(.path.package("MASS"),scripts))
file.show(file.path(.path.package("MASS"),"scripts","ch05.R"))

That being said, I couldn't off-hand spot anything ASH-like in the
file. This might either be a difference between the R and S versions,
or just that the remark in the figure caption does not spefically
relate to ASH (haven't got the book at hand just now).