[R] using Rterm under cygwin, no possiblity to delete characters

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 16:34:31 CEST 2004

You have to call Rterm.exe *from a command shell*.  `cygwin' is not a
command shell, but a collection of tools that provides several such.  So
we can only guess at what you are using.

Rterms runs satisfactorily in many shells (I use tcsh, others use Cygwin
bash ...).  This is all described in the README and rw-FAQ files,
for example.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Dewez Thomas wrote:

> Dear R-users,
>
> When I call Rterm from cygwin, I have no options but typing the exact syntax
> the first time. If I happen to hit the "delete" key (backspace), R dies when
> I press enter saying :

backspace and delete are separate keys, so which did you mean?

> Error: ... (error concerning the function on the last line of text)
> Execution halted
>
> Perhaps some of you have experienced this and found work arounds? One has to
> be pretty good to type without ever committing mistakes!
>
> By the way, I am running Cygwin (cygwin_NT-5.0 release 1.5.10(0.116/4/2), I
> reinstalled everything fresh last week) on Win 2k and R 1.9.1. Although some
> of you find cygwin inefficient in many ways, I don't have the option to
> migrate to Linux.

The alternative is to use a Windows-native shell, such as tcsh.exe.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk