[R] SVD with positivity constraints

Molins, Jordi Jordi.Molins at drkw.com
Tue Jul 27 11:32:43 CEST 2004

Thank you to Prof Brian Ripley and to Ken Knoblauch for your fast replies.

I should explain a little bit more about the problem at hand: in principle,
the matrix can have more rows than columns or the other way around. However,
I always could include in an artificial way more equations, such that there
are more equations than unknowns. So, in practical terms, the answer to the
first question from Prof Brian Ripley is: more equations than unkowns.

I have checked in the "Modern Applied Statistics with S" 4th edition, and in
page 62 it is shown the use of svd. It is written that svd gives, as result,
u, v and d. If there is a space of solutions (as opposed to a unique
solution) how is the solution given? how can I retrieve the whole space of
solutions?

Additionally, I have seen in several places that is suggested to use La.svd
instead of the standard svd. Would the La.svd generate also the whole space
of solutions? I have looked the documentation
(http://cran.r-project.org/doc/packages/RScaLAPACK.pdf) but it is not
explicitly written how to retrieve non-unique solutions.

An additional question: in the Numerical Recipes for C++ it is written that
the "small" numbers in the diagonal of d should be set manually to 0. Is
this done (maybe as an option) in svd or in La.svd? could this resetting
have a material effect in the solutions found?

thank you