[R] installing problems repeated.tgz linux

Mon Jul 26 18:35:43 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 09:34, Christian Schulz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i try several possibilities adn looking in the archive,
>  but didn't getting success to install  j.lindsey's  usefuel "library
> repeated" on my linux (suse9.0 with kernel 2.6.7,R.1.9.1)
>
> P.S. Windows, works  fine
>
> Many thanks for help
> Christian
>

> chris at linux:/space/downs> R CMD INSTALL - l /usr/lib/R/library   repeated
> WARNING: invalid package '-'
> WARNING: invalid package 'l'
> WARNING: invalid package '/usr/lib/R/library'
> * Installing *source* package 'repeated' ...
> ** libs
> /usr/lib/R/share/make/shlib.mk:5: *** Target-Muster enthÃ¤lt kein Â»%Â«.
> Schluss.
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'repeated'
> ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/repeated'

Christian,

There is a space (' ') between the '-' and the 'l', which will be parsed
as two separate arguments.  Hence the initial WARNING messages.

You need to use:

R CMD INSTALL -l /usr/lib/R/library repeated

Also note that you need to have 'root' privileges in order to install
the packages into the /usr/lib/R tree. Thus, you should 'su' to root
before running the command.

You should verify that your R tree is in /usr/lib, as the default is
/usr/local/lib, for which you would not require the '-l
/usr/lib/R/library' argument.

Presumably Windows worked fine because you typically do not require
administrator privileges to install the package locally on Windows or
your account has administrative privileges, which is typical (and bad)
on Windows NT/XP.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz