[R] help(package)->sink()

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 24 19:06:02 CEST 2004

      I wanted to direct packageInfo to a file, so I could add comments,
e.g., in MS Word.  The following command stored the desired information
in an object:

      mclustInfo <- help(package="mclust")

      Then "mclustInfo" displays it on my screen.  To direct it to a
file, I tried the following:

      sink("mclust.txt")
      mclustInfo
      sink()

      This sequence created an empty file "mclust.txt", while displaying
mclustInfo on my screen.  After a few more failed attempts, I gave up
trying to be clever and copied the text from the screen into Word.

      Is this a bug, that sink does not capture the output of objects of
class packageInfo?

      Best Wishes,
      spencer graves