[R] Re: bootstrap and nls

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 24 16:53:54 CEST 2004

      I would think that having to eliminate close to 10% of bootstrap
samples could be an issue.

      Have you considered using

	  myboot<-boot(Raies,dif.param,R=1000, sim="permutation")

      Permutation testing does sampling without replacement rather than
sampling with replacement.  Perhaps someone else can enlighten us both
on the arguments for and against both permutation testing and
bootstrapping, but permutation testing could eliminate one source of NAs
in the output;  in any event, I would want to keep track of the percent
of NAs obtained under both.  For a statistical audience, you would need
to cite literature explaining the difference between permutation testing
and bootsrapping, to help people understand your results.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves