[R] sas to r

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Sat Jul 17 00:58:08 CEST 2004

Here's one way...

Not tested, so there maybe typos and such, but I've used this
approach successfully quite a few times.

It can get kind of slow if dat1 has many, many rows.
The coding assumes no missing data, though that could be handled by
adding the na.rm argument in apppropriate places, and changing the
nrow() to something that counts only non-missing data.

myfun <- function(dfr) {
   data.frame(
              wshed=dfr$wshed[1],
              site=dfr$site[1],
              species=dfr$species[1],
              mBda=mean(dfr$BdA),
              cBda=sd(dfr$Bda)/mean(dfr$Bda),
              sBda=sd(dfr$Bda)/sqrt(nrow(dfr)),
              nBda=nrow(dfr),
              msla=mean(dfr$BdA),
              csla=sd(dfr$sla)/mean(dfr$sla),
              ssla=sd(dfr$sla)/sqrt(nrow(dfr)),
              nsla=nrow(dfr))
}

tmp1 <- split(dat1,paste(dat1$wshed,dat1$site,dat1$species))
tmp2 <- lapply(tmp1,myfun)
dat2 <- do.call('rbind',tmp2)

-Don