[R] dput and dget

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 15 20:22:12 CEST 2004

I am seeking advice about dput() and dget().

We are using the ascii format supported by these functions as a way to
write data from other programs that can be read into R easily.  We are able
to save complicated results (in the form of an R list) to a single file
that can be read trivially into R or S-Plus.

My question is whether that format can be considered a safe one for
medium-term (say 10 years) data storage. Assuming R is still used then
(which I suppose will be true), will "dget" work with old files?

Thanks!

Mike Prager