[R] Permutations

Christian T. Steigies cts at debian.org
Thu Jul 15 09:31:21 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:42:49PM +0200, Jordi Altirriba Gutiérrez wrote:

> I’ve 12 elements in blocks of 3 elements and I want only to make
> permutations inter-blocks (no intra-blocks) (sorry if the terminology is
> not accurate)

I am not a mathematician, but this sounds to me a little bit like Kirkman's
Schoolgirl Problem:

In a boarding school there are fifteen schoolgirls who always take their
daily walks in rows of threes. How can it be arranged so that each
schoolgirl walks in the same row with every other schoolgirl exactly once a
week?

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/KirkmansSchoolgirlProblem.html

Christian