[R] Help with factanal and missing values

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 14 00:13:23 CEST 2004

Dear Antonio,

This example is (as stated) a second-order CFI, where each of the primary
factors, F1, F2, and F3 depends upon the second-order factor F4. To have no
second-order structure, simply define variances and (assuming that you're
specifying correlated factors) covariances among the factors. For the
Thurstone example, these would be, in addition to the variances already set
to 1, F1 <-> F2, F1 <-> F3, and F2 <-> F3.

I hope that this helps,
 John