[R] Re: R library(e1071) question: definition of performance in tune.* functions

Tae-Hoon Chung thchung at tgen.org
Tue Jul 13 23:04:19 CEST 2004

Thank you David and Andy. Now, everything is clear.
For others, the problem is the one said in the subject, and the answer
is the one excerpted from reply from David.

TH.
On Jul 13, 2004, at 1:54 PM, David Meyer wrote:

> Tae-Hoon:
>
>> When we run tune.* for parameter tuning, we get performance value.
>> Can you tell me what the definition of it is?
>
> The values returned by tune() are Mean Squared Errors in case of
> regression, and simple rates (*no* percentages) in case of
> classification. As Andy already suggested, you might want to check if
> your target variable is indeed a factor. In case it is and you still
> get
> values greater than 1, drop me a mail with a piece of code (and data)
> enabling me to reproduce the phenomenon.
>
> Best,
> David
>
> --
> Dr. David Meyer
> Department of Information Systems
>
> Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
> Augasse 2-6, A-1090 Wien, Austria, Europe
> Fax: +43-1-313 36x746
> Tel: +43-1-313 36x4393
> HP:  http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/Wer_sind_wir/meyer/

Tae-Hoon Chung, Ph.D

Post-doctoral Research Fellow
Molecular Diagnostics and Target Validation Division
Translational Genomics Research Institute
1275 W Washington St, Tempe AZ 85281 USA
Phone: 602-343-8724