[R] ROracle package error

David James dj at research.bell-labs.com
Mon Jul 12 17:16:08 CEST 2004

Rado Bonk wrote:
> Dear R-users,
>
> In order to use ROracle (v. 0.5-5) package I compiled R-1.9.1 on Linux
> (2.4.20-28.9smp) and installed it. I need to use Oracle9i on Solaris.
> When executing "library(ROracle)" I got the following error message:
>
>  > library(ROracle)
> Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
> unable to load shared library
> /home/bonkrad/bin/R/lib/R/library/ROracle/libs/ROracle.so":
> /home/bonkrad/bin/R/lib/R/library/ROracle/libs/ROracle.so: undefined
> symbol: sqlca

This clearly cannot be an R problem: the undefined symbol is clearly
an Oracle one.  It's possibly an Oracle misconfiguration problem,
but you may need to read the various README's in the source ROracle
distribution (simply untar the source tar file into a temporary
directory and look at the "ROracle/inst" subdirectory.)

Hope this helps,

--
David