[R] dyn.load() for windows

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Sun Jul 11 18:27:07 CEST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:13:17 -0700 (PDT), Utsav Boobna
<catch_utsav at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>When I check the dll file by tdump, following error
>message was recieved.
>
>C:\Borland\BCC55\Bin>tdump Sample.dll
>Turbo Dump  Version 5.0.16.12 Copyright (c) 1988, 2000
>Inprise Corporation
>                    Display of File SAMPLE.DLL
>ERROR: Invalid signature for an .EXE file - found
>0C80, expected 5A4D

That's a sign that there's something wrong with your bcc32 command.
It's producing something (an .OBJ file?) that's named SAMPLE.DLL, but
isn't a true DLL.

You need to check the Borland documentation to find how to create a
DLL.   Once you work this out and you've got things working well,
*please* write up the details and send them to me.

Alternatively, use the tools we recommend.  There are lots of people
here who are familiar with them and can help you to get them to work.
Borland has a better debugger than gdb and probably produces faster
code than gcc, but there's a big advantage in using something that
someone else can help you with.  As far as I know, *you're* the
world's foremost expert on using BCC32 with R.  If that's not a
position you feel qualified to hold, then use different tools.

Duncan Murdoch