[R] Distribution of Data (was: your reference on this problem highly appreciated)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Jul 11 18:04:48 CEST 2004

      There are many tools for this, e.g., qqnorm, density, and in
library(MASS) fitdistr.  Also do a literature search on transformations
(especially to transformations to normality) and on mixture
distributions, esp. Titterington, Smith and Makov (1986) Statistical
Analysis of Finite Mixture Distributions (Wiley).

      What is the nature of your application?  If you tell us more about
the context, many people could tell you which distributions might be
plausible and which would not be credible except as an approximation,
e.g., a normal distribution for numbers that can not be negative and
whose distribution might be positively skewed.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves
p.s.  PLEASE do read the posting guide!