[R] where does R search when source()?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Jul 11 03:13:50 CEST 2004

  In case no one who knows has time to reply to this, I will report on
my empirical investigation of this question using R 1.9.1 under Windows
2000. First, I saved a simple script file "tst-source.R" in the working
directory, e.g., "d:/sg/proj1". When I said, "source('tst-source.R')",
it sourced the file appropriately. Then I moved this file to the
immediate parent, e.g., "d:/sg" and tried the same source command. It
replied, "Error ... unable to open connection ... ." Then I got a
command prompt, said, "path", and moved the file into one of the
directories in the search path. When I repeated the "source" command, it
was still "unable to open connection ... ."

Conclusion: From this and other experiences, I have found three ways to
specify file names:

(1) If the complete path and file name are supplied for an existing
file, 'source' will find it.

(2) If a file is in the working directory, specifying that name will get
it.

(3) If a file is in a subdirectory of the working directory, e.g.,
"d:/sg/proj1/sub1/tst-source.R", then specifying
"source('sub1/tst-source.R')" will get it.

hope this helps. spencer graves