[R] How to check the code for generic function in a specific package?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Jul 6 19:09:01 CEST 2004

What version of R are you using?  In R-1.9.1 (on WinXPPro), I get:

> boxplot
function (x, ...)
UseMethod("boxplot")
<environment: namespace:graphics>

... and that _is_ what an S3 generic looks like.  I suspect you really want
to define a boxplot method for some class for which there's no boxplot
method yet.  If so, just create a function named boxplot.myclass (substitute
`myclass' for the name of the class).  If you want to see what the default
method looks like for boxplot, type boxplot.default (which is _not_ hidden
behind the namespace for `graphics').

Andy