[R] nonlinear regression with M estimation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 5 18:31:52 CEST 2004

I don't think there is one.  One problem is that both nls and robust
procedures need a starting point and so you would need a good non-linear
resistant method to start.  (For certain Huber-type linear regressions you
can show there is a unique solution and so any starting point will do.
But that is rather unusual.)

The nearest equivalent I can think of is package nlrq, which also needs
suitable starting values.  Once you have those, you could just call optim
to minimize the log-likelihood under the Huber long-tailed model.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk