[R] How to get the normal direction to a plane?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Sat Jul 3 03:44:56 CEST 2004

I just reread my post and "a unique answer" should be "an answer that can
be chosen in a unique way based on certain additional standard conventions"

Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> myway.com> writes:

:
: In R^3 there is a unique answer if the points don't all lie on a line.
: See the discussion a few weeks ago on the list available at this thread:
:
:    http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/04/05/1487.html
:
: Also you might want to google for
:
:    cross product
:
:
: Fred <fzh113 <at> hecky.it.northwestern.edu> writes:
:
: :
: : Dear All
: :
: : Maybe the following is a stupid question.
: : Assume I have 3 coordinate points (not limited to be in 2D or 3D space)
: : a, b, c.
: : It is known that these 3 points will define a plane.
: : The problem is how to get the normal direction that is orthogonal to
: : this plane.
: :
: : Is there an easy way to calculate it using the values of a, b, and c?
: :
: : Thanks for any point or help on this.
: :
: : Fred
:
: R-help <at> stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
: https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help