[R] Problem in lme4

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 2 18:26:20 CEST 2004

Doran, Harold wrote:

> I was able to run the following in nlme successfully, but the same model
> and code (same dataset) failed to run in lme4 and gave me the error
> message below. Any thoughts?
>

> lme(math~year, data=egsingle, random=~year|schoolid/childid)
>

> Error in lme(formula = math ~ year, data = egsingle, random =
> structure(list( :
>
>         Unable to invert singular factor of downdated X'X

Is childid unique?  If not, you will need to generate a unique id for
the child for the lme4 version of lme.  (This change is required because
the lme4 package can fit models with crossed or partially crossed
grouping factors.)

A simple way of creating the necessary factor (thanks to Martin Maechler
for showing me this) is

egsingle$chld <- (egsingle$schoolid : egsingle$childid)[drop = TRUE]

(I haven't checked this.  I don't have R on the machine that I use for
email connectivity.  I can check this later today.  Is the egsingle data
set the same one you sent me earlier?)