[R] Seg. faults in mapthin

Kevin Bartz kbartz at loyaltymatrix.com
Thu Jul 1 18:50:15 CEST 2004

Hi everyone! I know segmentation faults are awfully hard to diagnose, but
I'm experiencing a fairly regular pattern of seg. faults when plotting using
map in the maps package. Starting R fresh, I run:

require(maps)
for (i in 1:50) {
  cat(i, "\n")
  map("state")
}

I always get the same result:

1
2
3
4
5

Process R segmentation fault at Thu Jul  1 09:07:39 2004

With some browsering, I've zeroed in on the source of the segmentation
fault: map's call to mapthin. Funny thing is, when I comment out the call to
mapthin, everything works consistently, without a hitch, and with no
apparent difference in the map.

Still, I'd rather work with the package the way it was built. I must be
losing something by cutting out the call to mapthin.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I've never had a segmentation fault
before on this particular machine, but these few lines always produce the
same unfortunate result. Has anyone else experienced segmentation faults
plotting using map in the maps package? Is there any way I might rectify it?
I'm on SuSE Linux, by the way, with:

> version
         _
platform x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu