[R] Running R remotely in Windows Environment? - Xemacs and ssh

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at evafunds.com
Fri Jan 30 01:17:48 CET 2004

Hi,

While we are on the topic of "Running R remotely in Windows Environment"
maybe someone could help with the following specific problem. I run R on
a Linux box from my WindowsXP laptop. I do so via Exceed, which for some
reasons is inconvenient for me.
As an alternative I tried to ssh into the linux machine and then run R.
This worked fine from Cygwin's bash window, but not from under XEmacs
(native Windows port). After starting ssh Xemacs complained:
"Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"
and didn't show the prompt. Did anyone figure out how to remotely run R
from under (X)Emacs on Windows using ssh?

Thanks,
Vadim