[R] D(COM) with Excel

Erich Neuwirth erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at
Mon Jan 26 19:54:56 CET 2004

Hi,

as the one who wrote the RExcel package let me add something to the
discussion.

Thomas Baier's R (D)COM package tries to use "native" Windows
data types to be as fast as possible.
My RExcel package has the following philosophy:
Offer R functions to people who "think spreadsheet".
One way of describing it is:
You can have an R process living in each cell of the spreadsheet,
and the output of R we want to deal with hast to be compatible with the
spreadsheet structure. That is the reason for the restriction to
arrays.
Spreadsheets (NOT the embedded programming language)
do not know about objects.

Somewhat oversimplifying one might say:
RExcel brings R computation to the spreadsheet,
and RDCOM brings R objects to VBA.

Erich Neuwirth

David James wrote:

>Hi Joel,
>
>You may want to take a look at the RDCOM implementation at
>http://www.omegahat.org/RDCOMServer.  We've had very good
>experience with it.
>
>--
>David
>
>Joel Pitt wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>I'm currently trying to use R in an automated
>>macro with Excel, and to this effect I've been
>>using the D(COM) server.
>>
>>However I've been having alot of problems with
>>it, because it seems to be limited to only recieving
>>and sending arrays. I've been struggling
>>trying to find a way to receive model summaries
>>from R to put in Excel. I also seem to have
>>some strange errors coming up...
>>I've tried doing everything I want directly in R
>>by hand, and it has been fine, but excel seems to
>>complicate everything :(
>>
>>Any people have suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>joel

Erich Neuwirth, Computer Supported Didactics Working Group
Visit our SunSITE at http://sunsite.univie.ac.at
Phone: +43-1-4277-38624 Fax: +43-1-4277-9386