[R] orphaned packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 08:29:59 CET 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Neil Eastep wrote:

> Are there many packages that are orphaned, and have a better "half" much
> like bootstrap?

Not many are orphaned -- currently precisely two although one previously
orphaned has acquired a new maintainer recently.   I suspect a few more
have non-responsive maintainers.

> Is there a listing, or directory of "recommended" packages (other than the
> packages downloaded with the initial R install)?

It is precisely the set that come with the R distribution.

The CRAN packages page lists both the priority (possibly "recommended")
and maintainer (possibly ORPHANED).  The daily check page

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/checkSummary.html

lists those as well as the result of the latest checks (although today's
list seems missing results for the last few packages).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk