[R] Graphical Windows

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 23 00:33:16 CET 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Sebastien Durand wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is my problem.  I am trying to run and learn R trough the
> terminal application of my Mac (it runs on Panther).
>
> So here it goes I just recently installed R, in unix mode (terminal)
> by following the attached web page.  The trouble is when I try to run
> either demo(graphics), demo(image) or even just a plot(x,y) of random
> values, no windows opens.  I get nada...

Your graphs are going to the file Rplots.ps, which you can view with
Preview after closing the file in R with
> dev.off()

In terminal mode the way to get displays on the screen is with the X11
driver, for which you need an X11 server (such as the one Apple supplies
with Panther).

Start X11 and then in your R session do
>  x11(display=":0")

to open a display device.

The RAqua GUI has a Quartz display device that is run by default, but
getting it to work outside the GUI is still under development.

	-thomas