[R] matrix exponential: M^0

David Firth d.firth at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 17:12:24 CET 2004

Prompted by this thread, I have tidied up a Fortran program I wrote
with Marina Shapira.  We would be happy for this ("mexp") to become
part of R, either as a contributed package or as part of the base
distribution if it's good enough.  I have packaged it and put it at
   http://www.warwick.ac.uk/go/dfirth/software/mexp

The examples in the help file show results on some "difficult" (but
small) test matrices from the literature.  I would welcome any feedback
on accuracy in other test cases.

This mexp function provides a choice of methods, Taylor series and Padé
approximation, both with the usual "squaring and scaling" for increased
accuracy.

I have not tested it on any platform other than my own (Mac OS X).
Until I know that it compiles and works on other platforms there seems
little point in submitting it as a CRAN package.

David