[R] Mac OS X and R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 21:19:12 CET 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Peter Wickham wrote:

> My Windows machine has gone "kaput" and I am trying to see how R might
> work on my Mac. I am interested in using the contributed packages,
> especially "waveslim" and "wavethresh". Are all packages available
> under either Windows, Mac, or Unix? I can't seem to tell from the

Yes, at least one of those!  Not all are available under Windows and fewer
still under MacOS X.  This is because

- the people who build the binary packages are (rightly) conservative and
only release packages that clearly pass all the tests.

- the MacOS X platform is a rather (very?) unusual Unix-alike.

Looking on CRAN, both have waveslim but only Windows (and Unix) have
wavethresh.   The latter does not appear on the status page

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/1.8/Status

so I don't know why.

> documentation whether this is so (probably because I am not very
> computer literate!). Any thoughts?

Just look on CRAN to find out.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk