[R] Oracle RODBC/ROracle(W2k)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 13:20:48 CET 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Christian Schulz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> trying the access to  Oracle via ODBC in Win2k/1.8.1 i have only 2 problems.
> (1) number(x,y) formats in oracle result in R-Project as a factor with more
> than  20.000 levels for every distinct value.
> My coversion attempts until now failed, i.e.  as.numeric(money)  result
> in a:
> Error in as.double.default(money) : (list) object cannot coerced to double

Presumably money is a data frame.  See the FAQ on how to convert a factor
to numeric (hint: not by as.numeric).

> (2) A attempt to save a  data.frame result in a:
> Error in sqlSave(channel,SAVETTEST,colnames=T)
> Missing column name
> Check case conversion parameter in odbcConnect
>
> Now i see the table with headers and without rows in oracle.

Did you do the check you were asked to?

You have the R code (and indeed the C sources), and we don't have an
Oracle ODBC client (nor have you told us what you are using).  It really
isn't hard for an end-user to debug this sort of thing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk