[R] invoking R scripts from a linux shell ?

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Fri Jan 16 18:06:21 CET 2004

Hi Enrico,

As seen by other posts, there are many ways to accomplish this sort of
thing.  For simple tasks I've often found it easiest to call R from my
script (in my case Python).  I've not used BATCH mode and instead
call R like this:

    R --slave --no-save < script.R

A common setup for me is to have a functions.R file with routines I want
to use and then to generate a small R script from within Python that
sources functions.R and calls the functions with the proper variables as
determined by the script.

HTH,

+ seth