[R] invoking R scripts from a linux shell ?

Kort, Eric Eric.Kort at vai.org
Fri Jan 16 02:21:12 CET 2004

You can run R scripts in batch mode and direct output to file.  That would be by far the simplest.  Or, you could explore RSOAP to run R as a web service which allows creation of R sessions which persist (i.e. the binary data objects stay around) between requests from another application (which could include a Perl script using Perl's soap libraries).  A third option is the Rserve system which allows connection to R sessions using TCP/IP from other software applications.

See the R helpfile on the BATCH command (?BATCH) and/or http:ess.r-project.org/Zope/projects/RSOAP/ and/or http://stats.math.uni-augsburg.de/Rserve/

HTH,
-Eric