[R] random effects with lme() -- comparison with lm()

Jerome Asselin jerome at hivnet.ubc.ca
Fri Jan 16 00:47:44 CET 2004

Hi all,

In the (very simple) example below, I have defined a random effect for
the residuals in lme(). So the model is equivalent to a FIXED effect
model. Could someone explain to me why lme() still gives two standard
deviation estimates? I would expect lme() to return either:
a) an error or a warning for having an unidentifiable model;
b) only one standard deviation estimate.

Thank you for your time.
Jerome Asselin

> library(nlme)
> simdat <- data.frame(A=1:4,Y=c(23,43,11,34))
> simdat
  A  Y
1 1 23
2 2 43