[R] Resend: help with Hmisc/ Design installation in R-aqua (apple).

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:45:20 CET 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Bema Bonsu wrote:

> Hello again. This is a resend (first sent on the 12th of January);
>
> I would truly appreciate a response.
>
> "I have tried, unsuccessfully, to install the Hmisc and Design libraries
> (Harrell FE Jr) in R-aqua (Apple). These libraries are in source code only
> (i.e. not yet in ready-to-use binary format). Unfortunately, when I download
> the libraries in source format and attempt to install them directly or
> manually, I get an error message that states the following:
>
> Warning messages:
> 1: Installation of package Design had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages(ui.pkgs, CRAN = getOption(where), lib = .libPaths()[1])
> 2: Installation of package Hmisc had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages(ui.pkgs, CRAN = getOption(where), lib = .libPaths()[1])"

Yes, that's why there aren't binaries -- if it compiled without user
intervention there would be binaries.

You need to look at the output of INSTALL.  One way is to go to
Preferences and select the items that send stdout and stderr to the R
console.  You will then get R INSTALL error messages, which should explain
the problems.

	-thomas