[R] error message in plot(aov-object)

Pascal A. Niklaus Pascal.Niklaus at unibas.ch
Wed Jan 14 17:30:45 CET 2004

Hi all,

A student at our institute asked me for help with the following problem:

After fitting an aov model, she wanted diagnostic plots, and got the
following error message:

 > plot(p.aov)
Hit <Return> to see next plot:
Hit <Return> to see next plot:
Error in plot.window(xlim, ylim, log, asp, ...) :
        need finite ylim values
In addition: Warning message:
X11 used font size 8 when 9 was requested

The second plot was not produced. I then tried to produced the plot
manually, which worked, and checked the range of the residuals:

 > qqnorm(resid(p.aov))
 > range(resid(p.aov))
[1] -0.2428688  0.2020649

She used R 1.7.1 on a Mac, but I reproduced the problem on R 1.8.1 under
Linux.

Any help regarding the source of this problem is appreciated

Pascal