[R] reinstalling R/ mandrake 9.1/ rpm

Sam McClatchie s.mcclatchie at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 13 10:53:31 CET 2004

Patrick Connolly wrote:
> On Tue, 13-Jan-2004 at 03:35AM +0000, Sam McClatchie wrote:
>
> |> OS: linux Mandrake 9.1
> |> R Version 1.8.1  (2003-11-21),
> |> GNU Emacs 21.2.93.1
> |> -------------------
> |>
> |> Colleagues
> |>
> |> I'm reinstalling R after reformatting a partition containing the
> |> applications software. The urpmi returned this error:
>
> I've not used urpmi.  Is that to say you had it working from an rpm
> already and this is a way to get it onto another petition?
>

> |> Should I uninstall the rpm using something like urpmi.removemedia, and
>
> rpm -e is sufficient, IIRC.
>
> |> then try and install the source with ./congure, make and make install?
>

> The only Mandrake I've tried is 9.0 which gave me all sorts of
> problems with things not working (some bits didn't seem to get from
> the installation CDs).  I've gone back to Redhat 7.3.
>
> Having said that, I prefer to install from the tgz file.  The
> installation procedure is very well thought out and it takes at most
> 20 minutes.  Another good reason is so that you can still use previous
> versions if something appears to be a 'new' bug.  For most other
> things, rpms are great.
>
> HTH

--------------------
OS: linux Mandrake 9.1
R Version 1.8.1  (2003-11-21),
GNU Emacs 21.2.93.1

Hi Patrick

My need to reinstall R arose from a classic mistake. I had copied the
gnucash rpm into /usr/lib/, and then installed it, which resulted in a
/usr/lib/usr/lib structure. In correcting my error, I was too quick with
my fingers, and as root, deleted my /usr/lib directory (I had to laugh,
after I finished cursing). Anyway, I had to reformat my software partition.

There does seem to be a problem with the mandrake 9.1 rpm. I've just
installed the R 1.8.1 sources with ./configure, make, make install
(after installing the C, C++ and Fortran compilers from the Mandrake
software management gui). Everything worked beautifully.

Thanks

Sam
--
Sam McClatchie,