[R] ? data.entry "read-only" ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 22:38:56 CET 2004

There are I believe three separate data displays behind data.entry (on
Xll, Windows and Aqua).  As far as I know none of them allow much
customization, or to be read-only.

I had thought about a read-only version of the first two, but then
realized that people happily use spreadsheets for display, as well as data
editors in several other packages.  What is more important is that the
data editors are modal (at least the first two), so you cannot leave them
open whilst working on a dataset, since you will not be able to get back
to the prompt.  Read-only non-modal versions might be worth pursuing.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk