[R] ReadLines does not give results with urls

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 18:12:19 CET 2004

It is not readLines() that does not work but url().  Have you tried
looking at the increased level of output which is available to see why?
It is described under ?download.file and ?option, option "internet.info".

We can't tell from your diagnostics if no_proxy is set but empty or unset.
It does have to be unset and I believe SuSe systems have a habit of having
it set but empty.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk