[R] Wrote new tiff package, would like big-endian tiffs for testing

Kort, Eric Eric.Kort at vai.org
Mon Jan 12 13:45:25 CET 2004

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Hisaji Ono [mailto:hi_ono2001 at ybb.ne.jp]
>

> Hi.
>
>  Do you know RGDAL(http://rgdal.sourceforge.net/) which can
> read Tiff files?

Yes.  Thanks for mentioning this excellent alternative.  This may be a fine solution for some/many/most/nearly all people.  However, I still think it would be elegant for those not doing geospatial research to have a stand alone tiff package, and one that does not require GDAL libraries, etc, to compile and install.  For one thing, since my embryonic package is focused solely on TIFFs, it allows close attention to be paid to things like bit preservation (at least in theory).  I would bet $1 U.S. that this is an attractive solution for at least 3 people in the known universe.  I only hope all three of those people aren't me.

But, obviously, to each his/her own.

-Eric

> > So, with that long-winded introduction, I am writing to r-help today
> because I have implemented a package that reads tiffs and
> returns the image
> data as a pixmap object (with additional slots for the
> original raw data
> that has NOT be rescaled to 0-1 occurs in the pixmap data slots for
> plotting).  I based the package on libtiff, not because it is
> perfect, but
> because it is efficient and will allow access to a broad, even if not
> comprehensive, range of tiff images. (By the way, one problem
> with libtiff
> is that its TIFFReadRGBAImage function truncates 16 bit images to 8
> bits...my library circumvents this path for 16bit images,
> thus maintaining
> the full 16bit data--at least for non-tiled images).

This email message, including any attachments, is for the so...{{dropped}}