[R] Sweave and X11 on OSX 10.3

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 7 20:05:49 CET 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at wrote:
> I see, could in this case R for the Mac be smarter about what the
> default graphics device should be? This is not an Sweave issue, it
> simply means that under the setup described above any call to plot()
> ---without actively opening a device first---will fail ...

R for the mac should probably be less smart. Since options("device") is
set at start-up there isn't much ability to tell what it should be, and we
could just use "postscript" (though "pdf" might be more appropriate on a
Mac).  We have been reluctant to special-case mac code unnecessarily, but
this does indicate a case where it might be necessary.

In the medium term this problem should go away if we get the quartz()
driver working more widely.

	-thomas