[R] Sweave and X11 on OSX 10.3

Kieran Healy kjhealy at u.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 7 07:44:42 CET 2004

Hi -

I'm running R 1.8.1 (compiled from source) on Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). I
find that, if Apple's X11 application is not running, Sweave gives an
error when it wants to create a pdf or eps figure. E.g., in the package's
own example-1.Snw file a boxplot is created at chunk 2:

<<fig=TRUE,echo=FALSE>>=
boxplot(Ozone ~ Month, data = airquality)
@

Normally this will create a pdf and an eps version of the boxplot. I get:

> Sweave("example-1.Snw")
Writing to file example-1.tex
Processing code chunks ...
 1 : echo term verbatim
 2 : term verbatim eps pdf
Warning message:
unable to open connection to X11 display`'

Error:  chunk 2
Error in X11(display, width, height, pointsize, gamma, colortype,
maxcubesize,  :
        unable to start device X11

If I start the X11 application, Sweave runs as normal but displays any
figures on an x11() device in addition to creating the eps / pdf files.

I don't remember this happening before and experience teaches me to assume
the issue is with my own setup rather than Sewave. Maybe there's a
problem with the DISPLAY variable, or something that I did while upgrading
to Panther -- but I can't see what it is. Has anyone else had this
issue?

Thanks,

Kieran

--
Kieran Healy, http://www.u.arizona.edu/~kjhealy
Asst Professor, Sociology Dept, University of Arizona.