[R] question about if else

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Feb 27 20:12:47 CET 2004

ifelse() has three arguments, named 'test', 'yes', and 'no'.

In both of your two examples, you gave it a test argument of length equal to 1.
That is, both
   length(c())!=0
and
   length(c())==0
are expressions which when evaluated have length equal to 1.

Therefore, the ifelse() function wants to return an object of length
1. So, it wants to return the first element of either the 'yes'
argument, or the 'no' argument, depending on whether test is true or
false. But c() has length zero, there is no first element available
to return. So you get an error message.

-Don