[R] writing polygons/segments to shapefiles (.shp) or other ArcGIS compatible file

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Thu Feb 26 20:44:56 CET 2004

Hi,

Thanks for all those information and the most valuable library you have developed.

If somebody is to develop something to write shapefiles from polygon coordinates within R (most welcome), I don't think that the
attribute file (dbf) will be an important issue. If we have got an output with the index to link the dbf records to each shape of a
shapefile, any text file can be handled in R or Excel to create a dbf. The real issue is the encoding of the *.shp and *.shx  etc..
(and an index file for the dbf)

Most important is to consider that ESRI has stopped developping ArcView and AVENUE. They have moved to ArGIS and Visual Basic. In
this new generation framework, importation is managed with ArcToolBox which, to my knowledge, is very limited considering
importation of text objects (actually I even wonder if one can import something but attribute tables without ArcInfo). For instance,
the way I found to solve the problem I met was to write a programme in R to wrap the polygon coordinates in a text file readable in
GRASS (an opensource GIS), to import it into GRASS and to export the shapefile from GRASS. This shapefile was finally imported to
ArcGIS.  I would not insist on ESRI client policy. I just want to say that the more I know corporates the more I love opensource...

Anyway, there are many things that can be made in R which may deserve not only importation to R, but also exportation to many kinds
of GIS. To write shapefiles from polygon, points or lines created in R would be most useful.

Many thanks for your interest and support,

Patrick Giraudoux

Université de Franche-Comté
Laboratoire de Biologie environnementale
EA3184 usc INRA
F-25030 Besançon Cedex

tél.: +33 381 665 745
fax.: +33 381 665 797
http://lbe.univ-fcomte.fr

"Ce n'est pas en améliorant la bougie que l'on a inventé l'électricité", la recherche fondamentale est indispensable !