[R] Gnumeric - 1 Excel - ?

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Thu Feb 26 14:42:01 CET 2004

Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at medanalytics.com> writes:

> For those wishing to stay abreast of such issues, this new paper may be
> of interest. It puts the open source efforts of the Gnumeric team
> (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnumeric/) in a very favorable light.

Thanks.

For those using gnumeric to munge excel data, be careful.  Very
careful.  Just found a spreadsheet with "missing" columns (exist in
excel, and do not display in gnumeric).

If I'd known they were there, I'd not have had to recopy from an older
dataset.  Realigning/merging at 4am isn't fun.

Alternatively, if I had exported first into R (via CSV), I'd have
found them.

Not sure what the lesson is, but at 5am, I'm just not too sure about
anything except that I've now got a clean and validated dataset.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}