[R] Memory limitation in GeoR - Windows or R?

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Thu Feb 26 09:52:48 CET 2004

Dear all,

I a read with great interest the e-mails related to Arnav Sheth about memory limitation when computing a distance matrix. I suspect
that I will also meet some memory limitation using GeoR. I am currently running GeoR on a geodata object including 2686 geographical
coordinates.

krige.conv() can handle it (it takes 10-15 mn of computing) but requests an increased memory.

> memory.limit(size=500000000)

When the computing is completed, the computer speed is considerably slowed down for any application. It is thus most necessary to
shut it down and restart. I will probably have to handle a set of 5000-6000 coordinates in once in the next few months. I wonder if
it will go through it on my plateform (Windows XP and compaq nx7000). If not, will the limitation due to R or to Windows? Does an
alternate solution exist?

Thanks for any hint,

Patrick Giraudoux