[R] lapack routine dgesdd, error code 1

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 09:22:13 CET 2004

You have to read the LAPACK code.  It says

*  INFO    (output) INTEGER
*          = 0:  successful exit.
*          < 0:  if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value.
*          > 0:  DBDSDC did not converge, updating process failed.

and 1 > 0 so this was a convergence failure inside the SVD code.

Such things are almost impossible to reproduce elsewhere as they depend on
the BLAS and the optimizations done by the compiler.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk