[R] Stratified random sampling in R?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Sat Feb 21 05:30:12 CET 2004

Try this.  ptrain and ptest and proportions in the training
and test samples.  The next line generates a random test
vector of factors, f, for testing purposes.

ptrain <- 0.3; ptest <- 0.2
set.seed(1); f <- cut(runif(100),3,lab=F)

first <- function(x, p) x[seq( ceiling(p * length(x) ) )]

perms <- lapply(split( seq(f), f ), sample)

train <- lapply( perms, function(x) first(x, ptrain) )
test <- lapply( perms, function(x) first(rev(x), ptest) )

first takes a vector and a proportion and returns that proportion
of elements from the beginning of the vector.  Assuming p > 0
it always returns at least one.   perms is a random
permutation of the cases at each level.  Finally, in the last
two statements, we take elements off the beginning of
the permutations for our training set and off the end for
our test set.

At the end, train and test are each lists of vectors of case
numbers representing the training and testing samples.

---