[R] Re: R for economists

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Feb 20 17:55:43 CET 2004

Ajay Shah wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:26:55PM +0100, Arne Henningsen wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I did not find any web page about using R in economics and econometrics so
>>far. However, this does not mean that there is none (searching with google
>>for "R" and "economics" gives many pages about economics and a name like
>>Firstname R. Lastname on it ;-)).
>>Does anybody in the list does know such a web page?
>>If not, I will be happy if you, Ajay, could build and maintaine one.
>>

>Okay, I made a start, with
>      http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah/KB/R/more.html
>
>Tell me what should go into it. :-)

 You might consider:

- some economics topic areas  and mention packages that would be useful
within those areas for different kinds of analysis that are commonly
done. (There are several packages related to time series.)

- economics data sources that are easily accessible from R.

- papers where the analysis is known to have been done with R (and
mention availability of code and data?)

- teaching material.

- translation of econometrics terminology to R and statistics terminology.

- a list of economic/financial institutions known to be using R.

This topic has been discussed on r-help a few times before, so I think
once you get a bit more structure set up then you will get lots of
additional input.

Paul Gilbert