[R] R-help

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Thu Feb 12 18:32:36 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 10:42, Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:
> On 12-Feb-04 Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > Jim, just for clarification, do you truly mean the SAS *code* or did
> > you mean the SAS *dataset*?
> >
> > If the former, as you are probably picking up, no go. There is no
> > direct translation. It would be like expecting a C compiler to compile
> > Fortan code.
>
> Been there, done that ... A lot of Fortran programs can be quite easily
> re-structured into C; in the limit, f2c is your friend ... I don't think
> SAS could be that easily re-written as R, though; and we certainly do
> not have sas2r yet!
>
> Ted.

Thanks for the clarification Ted. I was more thinking along the lines of
"native" compilation as opposed passing the code to a
filtering/conversion program prior to compilation.

I perhaps could have picked a better example of two languages where an
intermediate filter/conversion program was not available.  :-)

Marc